Deep Earth Academy
Deep Earth Academy’s mission is to raise awareness about ocean drilling science and its central role in our understanding of the Earth’s past, present and future, teach science content and process, and inspire careers in science, technology, engineering and math. Our approach includes use of authentic data, inquiry-centered activities and interdisciplinary explorations drawing from the adventures of the JOIDES Resolution ship and the earlier ocean drilling ship; the Glomar Challenger.
We invite you to join us and welcome you as a part of our community of educators. Check back here often for new resources, new opportunities for professional development, and new ways to learn about the world around us! Click to learn more about Deep Earth Academy.
- Teach-It: curriculum and classroom activities for kindergarten through college level!
- Borrow Teaching Kits and Core models.
- Learn who is on board Expedition 345 with the Hess Deep Rift Playing Cards.
- Check out the new volume of the graphic novel “Choose Your Own Tales of the Resolution – Jobs on the JR,” where students choose to follow an engineer, scientist, or welder aboard the JOIDES Resolution. This is a great tool for showing science in action and the integration of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math that happens on the ship.
- Want a short, introductory presentation on the JR? Click here.
- Visit the JOIDES Resolution website atwww.joidesresolution.org to follow the current expedition; read blogs, post comments, watch videos, play games, and more.
- Looking for ocean drilling data? Check out How to Access Scientific Drilling Data and Publications – the easy way (PDF)
- What on Earth is a core? Learn more about these unique windows to Earth’s past – which provide clues to Earth’s future.
Latest Blog Posts from the JOIDES Resolution:
Latest News from Deep Earth Academy:
- UVIC Instructor On Board The "School Of Rock" - For Science
- Earth-Drilling Science Vessel Studied at New Rochelle Public Library
- Rockin’ Through the Ages
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – April 2013
- Alaskan calling for Bay's Carol
- Educators Explore Geology of the Pacific Northwest
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – March 2013
- Educators Explore the Geology of the Pacific Northwest aboard the JOIDES Resolution
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – January 2013
- Attention Cyber School Teachers and STEM Educators!
Deep Earth Academy wouldn’t exist without our sponsors: NSF, Consortium for Ocean Leadership, US Science Support Program, and Integrated Ocean Drilling Program – US Implementing Organization.