School of Rock
The School of Rock (SOR) Expedition for Earth and Ocean Science Educators is the adventure of a lifetime for educators interested in experiencing scientific ocean drilling research with the experts! During this multi-day workshop onboard the JOIDES Resolution or in the IODP Gulf Coast Core Repository, educators from across the country and the world work with real core material and lab technology to learn how the science reveals clues about Earth’s history.
Upcoming Schools of Rock
2013 SCIMPI School of Rock Investigating Earth’s history and the deep biosphere using samples from below the seafloor aboard the JOIDES Resolution
Learn more about the School of Rock
What are the overall goals of School of Rock Expeditions? Read them here!
Learn about the impact that the School of Rock has on participants: The School of Rock Preliminary Report
Watch From Science to the Classroom , a video produced by 2010 Rocker Patrice Ceisel that shows School of Rock participants in action.
Watch a School of Rock teacher bring her experience back to the classroom.
Join our mailing list to receive other opportunity announcements when they become available.
School of Rock in Literature and News
Latest School of Rock Related News
- UVIC Instructor On Board The "School Of Rock" - For Science
- Rockin’ Through the Ages
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – April 2013
- Alaskan calling for Bay's Carol
- Educators Explore Geology of the Pacific Northwest
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – March 2013
- Educators Explore the Geology of the Pacific Northwest aboard the JOIDES Resolution
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – January 2013
- Attention Cyber School Teachers and STEM Educators!
- Program Update: Deep Earth Academy – September 2012
Explore our previous SOR Adventures
Learn about past workshops and expeditions and view the exciting activities, blogs, and videos that participants created.
- 2013 School of Rock – Exploring Ocean Cores and the Geology of the Pacific Northwest
April 1 – 9, 2013; Aboard the JOIDES Resolution
- Ship to Shore Science
May 23- June 2, 2012; Aboard the JOIDES Resolution
- Introduction to Curriculum on Climate History for Minority Serving Institution Faculty
June 4 – June 7, 2012; Gulf Coast Repository at Texas A&M
- School of Rock 2010
September 9 – 19; Aboard the JOIDES Resolution
- School of Rock 2009
June 23 – July 5; Aboard the JOIDES Resolution
- School of Rock 2008
July 6-14; College Station, Texas
- School of Rock 2007
July 23-28; College Station, Texas
- School of Rock 2005
October 31 – November 11; Aboard the JOIDES Resolution
“You did such a great job with the schedule for School of Rock. The flexibility we had was great, too. The whole experience was so positive and an incredible opportunity. I’m already planning to collaborate with our 4th grade teachers for their unit on plate tectonics and fossils.” ~Eileen Poling, West Virginia – Science teacher to Gifted students, grades K-6 – School of Rock 2007
“This week was great! Thanks for everything you did this week to make me a better teacher. I feel that I learned a lot. What a great group! What a great experience!” ~Tina King, Tennessee – Fifth grade science teacher – School of Rock 2007